Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Flameless candles are great for decorative illumination and elegant ambiance without messy wax or fire hazards.
- Made of wax, LED Lytes Pillar Candles resemble the real thing with flickering lights that add mood and luminosity to any room.
I fell in love with flameless candles when I realized how convenient yet classy they are. I use them everywhere: in the kitchen during pre-dawn (and pre-coffee) mornings, in the bedroom for relaxing in the evening, and in the bathroom as a nightlight. They’re a quick and easy way to add a soft touch of light without cleaning up dripping wax or remembering to blow out the flame to prevent the house from catching on fire.
Flameless candles also are friendly to the wallet and environment because these LED gadgets don’t burn down, emit heat, or smoke. This reusable item can run on rechargeable batteries and even solar power. Also, you can put them anywhere without worrying about kids or pets knocking them over, nearby objects catching on fire, or a breeze blowing them out.
Flameless candles come in many different shapes, sizes, textures, and colors. You can choose between tall pillars, long and thin tapers, short votives, and small tea lights. They can stand alone, fit in candlesticks, sconces, and serve as centerpieces or decorations. Other features to consider in flameless candles include:
- Brightness: Do you want a soft amber glow or a more intense white light? Also, some candles let you adjust the level of brightness/dimness.
- Flickering vs. steady light: Most candles mimic flame-burning wicks and/or emit a steady glow or offer both options.
- Construction material: Wax bodies are more realistic while plastic can be used indoors and outdoors.
- Power control: In addition to manual on/off switches, some candles have remote controls for handy hands-off operation.
- Color options: In addition to a neutral-colored (e.g., white, yellow) light, some candles glow in different hues, like blue, green, red, purple, orange, and more.
- Timer: You can set or program the number of hours (e.g., four, six, eight, twelve, etc.) you want a flameless candle to be “lit” and then turn off automatically.
- Scent: Like real candles, flameless candles come unscented or in different scents. Personally, I’ve paid more attention to a model’s visual aesthetics than its scent.
However and wherever you plan to use your flameless candle and no matter which ones you choose, you’ll enjoy the peaceful ambiance and graceful radiance it brings to your space.
Here are the best flameless candles you can buy:
- Best overall flameless candle: LED Lytes Pillar Candles
- Best budget flameless candle: Homememory Wavy LED Tea Lights
- Best tapered flameless candle: Youngerbaby Yellow Mini Battery Operated LED Taper Candles
- Best color-changing flameless candle: Frostfire Mooncandles Weatherproof Color-Changing Candles
- Best outdoor solar flameless candle: LampLust Outdoor Black 11-inch Solar Candle Lanterns